University of Illinois
Department of Economics
1407 W. Gregory
218 David Kinley Hall
Urbana, IL 61801
Tel: (217) 300-2654
Fax: (217) 244-6678
Immigration and the Pursuit of Amenities. (with Heepyung Cho and Mariya Shappo) Journal of Regional Science Forthcoming.
Urban Population and Amenities: The Neoclassical Model of Location. (with Bryan Stuart) International Economic Review Forthcoming.
Local Labor Markets in Canada and the United States (with Alex Chernoff, Chandler Lutz and Casey Warman) Journal of Labor Economics Forthcoming.
The Optimal Distribution of Population across Cities (with Kristian Behrens, Frederic Robert-Nicoud, and Nathan Seegert) Journal of Urban Economics, 110, March 2019, pp. 102-113. Working Paper
Housing Productivity and the Social Cost of Land-Use Restrictions (with Gabriel Ehrlich) Journal of Urban Economics, 107, September 2018, pp. 101-120.
Metropolitan Land Values. (with Gabriel Ehrlich and Minchul Shin) Review of Economics and Statistics, 100(3), July 2018, pp. 454-456.
- What are Cities Worth? Land Rents, Local Productivity, and the Total Value of Amenities. (sole-authored) Review of Economics and Statistics,98(3) July 2016, pp. 477–487 (previous version)
Extreme Temperature, Climate Change, and American Quality of Life. (with Walter Graf, Hendrik Wolff, and Ryan Kellogg) Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, 3(1), March 2016, pp. 205-246.
Driving to Opportunity: Local Rents, Wages, Commuting, and Sub-Metropolitan Quality of Life. (with Bert Lue) Journal of Urban Economics, 89, September 2015, pp. 74-92.
- Are Houses Too Big or in the Wrong Place? Taxes Benefits to Housing and Inefficiencies in Location and Consumption. (with Andrew Hanson) NBER Tax Policy and the Economy, 2014.
Quality of Life, Firm Productivity, and the Value of Amenities across Canadian Cities. (with Fernando Leibovici and Casey Warman) Canadian Journal of Economics, 46(2), May 2013.
- Partisan Representation in Congress and the Geographic Distribution of Federal Funds. (sole-authored) Review of Economics and Statistics, 95(1), March 2013, pp. 127-141.
- The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation: Comment. (sole-authored)
American Economic Review, 102(6), October 2012, pp. 3059-3076. Appendix .
Evaluating the Efficiency and Equity of Federal Fiscal Equalization. (sole-authored) Journal of Public Economics 96(9-10), October 2012, pp. 824-839.
- Do Voters Affect or Elect Policies? A New Perspective, with Evidence from the U.S. Senate. (sole-authored)
Electoral Studies 30(1), March 2011, pp. 162-173.
- The Unequal Geographic Burden of Federal Taxation
Journal of Political Economy 117(4), August 2009, pp. 635-667.
- The Wage Gap between Francophones and Anglophones: A Canadian Perspective, 1970-2000
. (sole-authored) Canadian Journal of Economics 41(4), November 2008, pp. 1211-1238. Appendix.
Working Papers under Revision
- Productivity and Quality of Life Benefits to Rural Infrastructure Issue Reports No. 277657, 2018, Farm Foundation.
- Book review of Cities and the Urban Land Premium, by De Groot et al. Papers in Regional Science, 2017, pp. S221-222.
- Book review of Tax Systems, by Joel Slemrod and Christian Gillitzer Journal of Economic Literature, 2014, pp. 1173-1175.
- Book review of Lectures on Urban Economics, by Jan K. Brueckner Journal of Regional Science, 2012, pp. 510-512.
- Does New York Pay Too Much in Federal Taxes Relative to Columbus? Proceedings of the National Tax Association 100th Annual Conference on Taxation, 2008, pp. 245-249.
- Public Economics: Undergraduate, Masters, Ph.D.
- Urban Economics: Undergraduate
- Labor Economics/Economic Inequality: Undergraduate
- 2017 Excellence in Teaching a [Ph.D.] Field Course (Economics Graduate Student Organization, UIUC).
- 2012 Peggy and Richard Musgrave Prize.
- 2008 Robert Mundell Prize.
- 2008 Upjohn Institute Dissertation Award.
- 2008 AREUEA Dissertation Award.
- 2007 NTA Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Prize.